This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Silastic-PVP-PGF2α tubes significantly reduced the sperm population in the epididymis and vas-deferens of male rats 14 days after their insertion into the scrotal sacs. A reduction in testis and epididymal weights was also evident. The reduction of sperm population was accompanied by a normal sexual drive and circulating testosterone level and partial sterility. The reduction in sperm population and induction of partial sterility was detected at least 7 days after the total release of prostaglandin F2α, from the Silastic-PVP tubes. The results suggest that the changes in the reproductive parameters might be a consequence of endocrinological and functional disturbances induced by PGF2α, and that PGs can be used to induce temporary sterility in the male.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The effect of prostaglandin Flα and F2α on spermatogenesis.Int. J. Fert. 1976; 21: 82
- Effects of prostaglandin F2a on the reproductive system of the rat.J Reprod Fertil. 1975; 44: 545
- Prostaglandins (El and E2) and reproduction in the male rat.Adv Biosci. 1972; 9: 737
- Prostaglandin E2 and F2α decrease plasma testosterone levels in male rats.Prostaglandins. 1973; 4: 235
- Prostaglandin A1 and A2 decrease testosterone levels in mice and rats.Endocrinology. 1974; 95: 311
- Midterm abortion with Silastic-PVP implant containing Prostaglandin F2α in rabbits, rats and hamsters.Fertil & Steril. 1974; 25: 839
- Induction of midterm abortion in rabbits and hamsters with Silastic-PVP tubes containing prostaglandin E2 and F2α.Contraception. 1975; 11: 479
- Effect of intra-scrotal implant of prostaglandin E2 or F2α on blood steroids in adult male rat.Int J Andrology. 1978; 1: 180
- Effect of prostaglandin F2α on sperm count, sperm motility and fertilizing capacity in the male rabbit.in: Hansson V. Ritzen M. 5th Annual Workshop on the Testis, Geilo, Norway, April1978
- Control of hamster fertility with prostaglandin F2α implants.Acta Endocrinol. 1972; 70: 97
- Determination of seven conjugated steroids in the blood and seminal plasma of the fertile male rabbits.Hormone Res. 1977; 8: 117
- Effects of a cholesterol inhibitor and of prostaglandin F2α on testis cholesterol and on plasma testosterone in mice.Prostaglandins. 1973; 3: 97
- Effect of prostaglandin E2 and A2 on steroid synthesis by the rat adrenal gland.J. Endocr. 1975; 65: 55
© 1978 Published by Elsevier Inc.