This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
We have found a higher concentration of prostaglandins in blood from the diabetic patient under long-term indomethacin therapy as compared with blood from non-diabetics. These findings are generally (qualitatively) similar to previous reports with studies of blood serum from diabetic patients, not on indomethacin treatment, compared with non-diabetics. Certain rationale are presented in an effort to explain the reason why blood prostaglandins in the diabetic are not lowered when the patients are treated with a drug which is clearly established as a blocker of prostaglandin synthesis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Possible new concepts relating prostaglandins to various ocular functions.Survey Ophthalmol. 1970; 14: 301
- Diabetic retinopathy and rheumatoid arthritis.Lancet. 1964; 2: 17
- Prostaglandin endoperoxides: A new concept concerning the mode of action and release of prostaglandins.in: Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci.71. 1974: 3824
- Transit monocular blindness and increased platelet aggregability treated with aspirin.Neurology. 1972; 22: 280
- Stimulation and blockadq of prostaglandin biosynthesis.J. Biol. Chem. 1971; 246: 6700
- Metabolic approaches to studies on diabetic microangiopathy.Diabetes. 1977; 26: 510
- Changes in prostaglandin concentration in blood subjected to repetitive freezing and thawing.Prostaglandins. 1975; 10: 949
- Prostaglandin production by mouse fibrosarcoma cells in culture: Inhibition by indomethacin and aspirin.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 1972; 47: 888
- Extraction of prostaglandinlike activity from whole human blood.Life Sci. 1972; 2 (part 1): 73
- Prostaglandins and Diabetic Retinopathy.Exp. Eye Res. 1973; 16: 307
- Physiologic role of prostaglandins of the E (PGE), F(PGF) and AB (PGAB) groups. Estimation by radioimmunoassay in un extracted human plasma.Prostaglandins. 1972; 2: 471
- Report on World Health Organization Meeting on Prostaglandins.Prostaglandins. 1972; 1: 171
- Thromboxanes: The power behind the prostaglandins?.Science. 1975; 190: 770
- Advances in Prostaglandin and Thromboxane Research. Vol. 1 & 2. Raven Press, New York1976
- Modulation of human platelet adenylate cyclase by prostacyclin (PGX).Prostaglandins. 1977; 13: 377
- Effects of prostacyclin (PGX) on cyclic-AMP concentrations in human platelets.Prostaglandins. 1977; 13: 389
- Indirect evidence mounts for prostaglandin role in natural course of diabetic vascular disease.Prostaglandins & Therape. 1975; 1: 1
- The role of platelets in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy.Trans. Amer. Acad. Ophthalmol. Otol. 1973; 77: 43
- Chapter 14 in NINDB Monograph 4. NIH, 1967: 144
- POB programming and diabetes.Sight Sav. Rev. 1975; 45: 31
- Platelet aggregation in experimental diabetic retinopathy.in: Ocular Therapy. Vol. 8. Wiley Publishers, New York1975
- Role of cyclic-AMP in platelet function.Adv. Cyclic Nucleotide Res. 1972; 1: 231
- Cyclic 3′,5′-adenosine monophosphate in human blood platelets.Nature. 1969; 224: 609
- Prostaglandins. 1977; 13: 375
- An enzyme isolated from arteries transforms prostaglandin endoperoxides to an unstable substance that inhibits platelet aggregation.Nature. 1976; 263: 663
- The role of prostaglandin endoperoxides and thromboxanes in human platelets.in: Silver M.J. Smith J.B. Kocsis J.J. Prostaglandins in Hematology. Spectrum Publications, New York1977: 1
© 1978 Published by Elsevier Inc.