This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Thromboxane A2 has been implicated in thrombotic vascular diseases. The diabetic population has a high incidence of vascular complications. In the present study, activity of thromboxane synthetase in platelets of type 2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetic patients was studied. Thromboxane synthesizing activity in diabetic platelets was significantly higher than that in controls (p<0.05).
An effect of dietary arachidonic acid on thromboxane synthesizing activity in platelets was also studied.Dietary arachidonic acid supplementation containing 1.7g of arachidonic acid per day for 1 week caused a significant increase of arachidonic acid content in plasma total lipids p < 0.05), but the increase of arachidonic acid in plasma total lipids did not correlate with the level of arachidonic acid in platelet phospholipids. Thromboxane synthesizing activity in platelets from the diabetics and the controls was augmented by a diet enriched in arachidonic acid from 2. 20 ± 0. 15 to 2. 56 ± 0. 20 and from 1.71 ± 0. 23 to 2. 01 ± 0. 34, respectively. The increase in diabetic subjects was statistically significant (p< 0.05). These results suggest that fatty acids of dietary origin are important factors in development of thrombotic vascular diseases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hyperglycemia and diabetes mellitus.Lancet. 1976; ii: 1009
- Morbidity and mortality in diabetics in the Framingham population.Diabetes. 1974; 23: 105
- Thromboxane production and platelet aggregation in diabetic subjects with clinical complications.Thromb. Res. 1980; 19: 211
- Increased platelet thromboxane synthesis in diabetes mellitus.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1981; 97: 87
Morita I, Takahashi R, Ito H, Orimo H, Murota S. Increased arachidonic acid content in platelet phospholipids from diabetic patients. Prostagland.Leuk.Med. in press.
- A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification.Can. J. Biochem. Physiol. 1959; 37: 911
- Effects of dietary essential fatty acid concentration upon prostanoid synthesis in rats.J. Nutr. 1980; 110: 1695
- Rat platelet prostaglandin, cyclic AMP and lipid response to variations in dietary fat.J. Nutr. 1981; 111: 699
- Effect of fatty acid modification on prostaglandin production by cultured 3T3 cells.J. Lipid. Res. 1982; 23: 584
- Increased arachidonate in lipids after administration to man: effects on prostaglandin biosynthesis.Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 1975; 18: 521
© 1983 Published by Elsevier Inc.