This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Normal human endometrium (classified by histology and date after last menstrual period) was cultured for 72h, and the output of prostaglandin F2α and 6-oxo-prostaglandin Fla detected by radioimmunoassay. Hormones/stimuli were added to the culture during the second day of culture for 5h and 19h periods.
- 1.1) The output of prostaglandin F2α from cultured endometrium was significantly higher (p<0.05) at the beginning (d4–8) and end (d25–30) of the menstrual cycle, compared to mid-cycle (d13–24) endometrium. Significantly more prostaglandin F2α was released from proliferative than from secretory phase endometrium (p<0.02).
- 2.2) Prostaglandin F2α release was rapidly stimulated by sodium arachidonate (20–300 μg/ml), and by calcium ionophore A23187 (5 μg/ml) at an extracellular calcium ion concentration of 1.8mM.The ionophore stimulation was greater in mid-cycle endometrium than in endometrium from the beginning or the end of the menstrual cycle.
- 3.3) Estradiol-17β (10 ng/ml) gradually increased the output of prostaglandin F2α from secretory phase endometrium, and this stimulation was observed in the post-incubation period after hormone had been removed from the incubation medium.
- 4.4) Oxytocin (1 × 10−5U/ml caused a more rapid stimulation of prostaglandin F2α output from secretory phase tissue (p<0.05 during the first 5h incubation period with hormone).
- 5.5) Oxytocin (1 × 10−5 U/ml) and estradiol (long/ml) together significantly stimulated prostaglandin F2a production by proliferative as well as secretory phase endometria.
- 6.6) A high dose of hydrocortisone (loo μg/ml) inhibited the output of prostaglandin F2α from proliferative and secretory phase endometrium and also from ionophore-stimulated endometrium. However, this dose of hydrocortisone did not inhibit the synthesis of prostaglandin F2a from exogenous arachidonic acid, or the estradiol-induced increase in prostaglandin F2α production.
- 7.7) Co-culture of endometrium with myometrium did not modify the output of prostaglandin F2α or of 6-oxo-prostaglandin Fla from cultured tissues.
- 8.8) These experiments suggest that arachidonic acid supply to the cyclooxygenase enzyme may vary during the menstrual cycle: and indicate a gradual increase in prostaglandin synthesising capacity in response to estrogen, more rapid control via oxytocin, and an interaction between estrogen and oxytocin to modulate prostaglandin F2a synthesis in human endometrium.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Determinations of prostaglandins in body fluids and tissues.Acta. Obsetrica Gynecologica Scandanavica. 1979; 87 (Suppl.): 5-20
- Studies on involvement of prostaglandins in uterine symptomatology and pathology.British Journal Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 1976; 83: 337-341
- Estrogen-directed synthesis of specific prostaglandins by the uterus.in: Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci.72. 1975: 1420-1424
- Effect of oestradiol 175 on prostaglandin biosynthesis by the uterus of ovariectomised rat and guinea pig.Prostaglandins. 1982; 24: 149-163
- Effect of progesterone and estrogen on prostaglandin F2αnd 13-14-dihydro-15-oxo-prostaglandin F1α in uteri and plasma of ovariectomised ewes.J. Endocrinol. 1977; 73: 427-439
- Phospholipase A2 activity in the rat uterus: modulation by steroid hormones.Prostaglandins. 1982; 23: 619-630
- Effect of diethylstilbestrol and ovarian steroids on contractile responses and calcium movements in rat uterine smooth muscle.J. Physiology. 1978; 276: 329-342
- Gap junction formation in the myometrium.Amer. J. Physiol. 1980; 238: C81-89
- Oxytocin stimulated release of prostaglandin F2α from ovine endometrium in vitro.Endocrinology. 1976; 99: 1107-1114
- Control of endometrial prostaglandin output in vitro during the estrous cycle of the guinea-pig: influence of estradiol 17-β, progesterone, oxytocin and calcium ionophore A23187.Prostaglandins, Leucotrienes & Medicine. 1982; 9: 657-670
- Regulation of oxytocin action at the receptor level Life Sciences. 1979; 25: 1453-1460
- Inositol lipids and cell surface receptor function.Biochimica Biophysica Acta. 1975; 415: 81-147
- How is the level of free arachidonic acid controlled in mammalian cells?.Biochemical Journal. 1982; 204: 3-16
- Identification of several species of phospholipase inhibitory proteins by radicimmunaossay for lipomodulin.Biochemical Biophysical Research Communications. 1982; 109: 223-230
- Differential production of PGS within the human uterus.Prostaglandins. 1979; 18: 821-828
- Effects of x-irradiation on mammalian oocytes in organ culture.Biophysik. 1969; 6: 39-43
- Endometrial uptake and esterification of arachidonic acid during the cestrous cycle of the guinea-pig.British Journal of Pharmacology. 1981; 73: 223p
- Production rates of PGF, 6-keto-PGF1α and thromboxane B2 by perfused human endometrium.Prostaglandins. 1980; 19: 461
- PG Content of human endometrium.Fertility & Sterility. 1975; 26: 296-305
- Concentrations of PGF2α and E2 in endometrium throughout the human menstrual cycle.J. Endocrinology. 1978; 77: 361-371
- Bradykinin and angiotensin activation of arachidonic acid deacylation in rabbit kidney. Hormone-sensitive versus hormone-insensitive pools and arachidonic acid.J. Biological Chemistry. 1981; 256: 2329-2333
- Effect of p-bromo-phenacylbromide on arachidonic acid and prostaglandin synthesis by guinea-pig uterus in vitro.British J. Pharmacology. 1977; 59: 107-113
- Distribution of arachidonic acid and other fatty acids in lipids of guinea-pig uterus and plasma in relation to uterine prostaglandin synthesis.J. Reproduction and Fertility. 1981; 61: 325-333
- Calcium sensitive prostaglandin output and phospholipase activity in human and guinea-pig endometrium.in: Proceedings International Protaglandin Conference. 5. 1982: 394-395
- Prostaglandin secretion by human endometrium in vitro.American J. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1982; 142: 626-633
- The Effect in vivo and in vitro of estrogens on lipid synthesis in rat uterus.J. Biological Chemistry. 1961; 236: 381-386
- Early estrogen effects on lipid metabolism in rat uterus.Endocrinology. 1972; 91: 1273-1283
- Considerations into mechanisms of estrogen-stimulated prostaglandin synthesis.Prostaglandins. 1976; 12: 243-251
- Oxytocin and initiation of human parturitian: prostaglandin release during induction of labour by oxytocin.American J. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1981; 141: 688-691
- Oxytocin and initiation of human parturition:stimulation of decidual prostaglandin production.American J. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 1982; 141: 694-699
- Is oxytocin an ovarian hormone?.Nature. 1982; 297: 225-227
© 1984 Published by Elsevier Inc.