This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Aqueous extracts of onion, garlic and ginger were found to inhibit aggregation induced by ADP, epinephrine, collagen and arachidonate in a dose-dependent manner . In the case of onion and garlic extracts relatively much higher volumes were need to bring about even a modest inhibition (by ca. 13–18%) of thromboxane synthesis in washed platelets from labelled AA. On the other hand a good correlation was found between the amounts of ginger extract needed to inhibit platelet aggregation and those to inhibit platelet thromboxane synthesis. Ginger extract reduced also platelet prostaglandin-endoperoxides. A dose-related inhibition of platelet thromboxane- and prostaglandin (PGF2α, PGE2 and PGD2) synthesis was affected by ginger extract. Extracts of onion, garlic and ginger inhibited biosynthesis of prostacyclin in rat aorta from labelled AA. Ginger extract mildly inhibited the synthesis of prostacyclin from endogenous pool of AA in rat aorta; the other two extracts were without effect.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Effect of garlic on human platelet aggregation .Atherosclerosis. 1978; 30: 355
- Effect of feeding onion on fibronolysis, serum cholesterol, platelet aggregation and adhesion.Indian Journal of Medical Science. 1974; 28: 144
- Onions and platelet aggregation.Lancet. 1977; 1 (Letter): 105
- Inhibition of platelet aggregation by onion extracts.Lancet. 1978; 1 (Letter): 1051
- Inhibition of platelet aggregation and thromboxane synthesis by onion and garlic.Lancet. 1979; 1: 781
- Effects of onion (Alium cepa) extract on platelet, aggregation and thromboxane synthesis.Prostaglandins and Medicine. 1979; 2: 413
- Preparation of platelet suspensions from whole blood in buffer. Description of a method which gives a large platelet yield.Scandinavian Journal of Haematology. 1979; 23: 88
- Arachidonic acid metabolism in isolated aorta and lung of the rat: effects of dipyridamole, nifedipine, propranolol, hydralazine and verapamil.Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Medicine. 1983; 10: 411
- Isolation and identification of the platelet aggregation inhibitor present in the onion, .FEBS Letters. 1972; 26: 105
- Altered arachidonic acid metabolism in platelets inhibited by onion or garlic extracts.in: Samuelsson B. Ramwell P.W. Paoletti R. Advances in Prostaglandin and Thromboxane Research. Volume 6. Raven Press, New York1980: 309
- Separation and identification of prostaglandin Al in onion.Lipids. 1980; 15: 292
© 1984 Published by Elsevier Inc.