This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The levels of 11-deoxy-13,14-dihydro-15-keto-115, 16ξ-cyclo PGE2 (bicyclo PGEM), 13,14-dihydro-15-keto PGF2α (PGFM), cortisol and prolactin were measured by radioimmunoassays in five serial plasma samples collected from fourteen patients undergoing falope ring application and three patients undergoing tubal electrocautery. Bicyclo PGEM, PGFM and cortisol levels were unchanged regardless of the type of tubal occlusion procedure or the type of anesthesia administered (7 received general and 10 local anesthesia). Prolactin levels, on the other hand, markedly increased. The increase was greatest in women that received general anesthesia. The lack of change in bicyclo PGEM and PGFM in peripheral plasma would suggest a local transfer of PGs produced by injured tubal tissue to other parts of the tube and the uterus resulting in increased contractions and pelvic pain.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Female sterilization by falope ring ligation.Can Med Assoc J. 1982; 126: 140
- Laproscopic sterilization on a day care basis.S Afr Med J. 1980; 58: 61
- Incidence of pain among women undergoing laproscopic sterilization by electro coagulation, the spring loaded clip and the tubal ring.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1979; 135: 397
- Complications of laproscopic sterilization: comparison of two methods.Obstet Gynecol. 1979; 54: 54
- Prostaglandins mediate postoperative pain in falope ring sterilization.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 151: 175
- Effects of meclofenamate and acetaminophen on abdominal pain following tubal occlusion.1986 (Submitted for publication)
- Development and validation of a radioimmunoassay for prostagladin E2 metabolite levels in plasma.J Clin Endocr Metab. 1983; 57: 101
- Measurement of 13,14-dihydro - 15 - keto - prostaglandin F2α and 6-keto-prostaglandin F1α in plasma by radioimmunoassay without prior extractions and chromatography.Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Med. 1982; 9: 491
- Principles and Procedures of Statistics.McGraw-Hill, New York1960
- Prostaglandins in the human fallopian tube.Fertil Steril. 1974; 25: 250
- Spontaneous motility and distribution of prostaglandins in different segments of human fallopian tube.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1975; 122: 663
- Role of Prostaglandins in contractile activity of the ampulla of the rabbit oviduct.Am J Physiol. 1980; 238: E157
- Prostaglandins: their disappearance from and release into the circulation.Nature. 1967; 216: 868
- Formation of Prostaglandins during the aggregation of human platelets.J Clin Invest. 1973; 52: 965
- Prostaglandin E generation during storage of plasma samples.Prostaglandins. 1974; 7: 339
- The stability of 13, 14-dihydro-15-keto-PGE2.Prostaglandins. 1980; 19: 917
- Chemical instability of 15-keto-13,14-dihydro-PGE2. The reason for low assay reliability.Prostaglandins. 1980; 19: 933
- The effect of the nutritional status on uterine prostaglandin F metabolite concentrations in pregnant ewe during late gestation.Quarterly J Expt'l Physiol. 1983; 68: 337
- Anesthesiology. Vol. I. Churchill-Livingston, New York1981
- Effect of epidural analgesia on the glycoregulatory endocrine response to surgery.Clin Endocr. 1976; 5: 107
- Prolactin, LH, FSH, GH and cortisol response to surgery and the effect of epidural analgesia.Acta Endrocr. 1980; 94: 151
- Mechanisms of control of prolactin release in response to apprehension stress and anesthesia-surgery stress.Fertil Steril. 1981; 36: 712
- Peripheral prostaglandin metabolite levels in women undergoing therapeutic abortions in the first trimester with and without treatment with prostaglandin synthetase inhibitor.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1986; (Submitted for publication)
- Prostaglandin F2α identified as a luteolytic hormone in the sheep.Nature New Biol. 1972; 238: 129
- Prostaglandin F2α is transferred from the uterus to the ovary in the sheep by lymphatic and blood vascular pathways.J Reprod Fert. 1985; 74: 645
© 1986 Published by Elsevier Inc.