This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In acute experiments eleven nonpregnant women received a single oral dose of enprostil (prostaglandin E2 analogue) 35–140 mcg. Uterine activity was measured by a microtransducer-tipped Millar catheter. A single, oral dose of enprostil caused a longlasting contracture response of the uterus. 3 h after enprostil, uterine resting pressure (RP) was still high. In chronic experiments, eleven women with regular menstrual cycles received 35 mcg or 70 mcg BID enprostil and placebo in a crossover, double-blind fashion from cycle day 10 ± 3 for four weeks, then had a washout period of four weeks followed by another four-week treatment period. An increase of uterine RP after enprostil was dose-dependent. After two weeks of twice-daily administration of enprostil, the baseline RP was lower than after placebo (p < 0.01) and the increase in RP after the morning enprostil less than that seen on the first day. In eight patients studied, the mean values of plasma progesterone were normal, both during placebo — and enprostil — treated cycles.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prostaglandins and Reproduction. MTP Press Ltd, Edinburgh1975
- Prostaglandine in Gynekologie und Geburtshilfe. Springer Verlag, Berlin1981
- Enprostil Investigator Monograph, Syntex Research. 1986;
- A specific radioimmunoassay of plasma progesterone.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1972; 35: 458-460
- In vitro inhibition of the human nonpregnant uterus by prostaglandin E2.Prostaglandins. 1974; 8: 401-410
- Prostaglandins and uterine contractility.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 1983; 113 (Suppl.): 23-29
- Human cervical connective tissue and its reaction to prostaglandin E2.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 1983; 113 (Suppl.): 163-166
- Force of Labor.in: Iffy L. Kaminetzky H.A. Principles and Practice of Obstetrics and Perinatology. J. Wiley & Sons, 1981: 761-800
- Mechanism of action of an orally active PGE1-analogue in pregnant guines pigs.Prostaglandins. 1981; 21: 259-266
- Lack of effect of arbaprostil on the human nonpregnant uterus.Acta Obstet. Gynecol. Scand. 1985; 64: 645-647
© 1989 Published by Elsevier Inc.