This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The effects of aldose reductase inhibitors (ARIs) on the synthesis of prostacyclin (PGI2) by aortic rings from diabetic rats were examined. The ARIs studied were ONO-2235 and isoliquiritigenin, a new compound extracted from glycyrrhizae radix. The content of sorbitol in the sciatic nerve of diabetic rats induced by streptozotocin was significantly increased as compared with that of controls. This increase was significantly inhibited by the administration of an ARI. On the other hand, there was a marked decrease in the synthesis of PGI2 by the diabetic rats compared with the control rats. The decrease in PGI2 synthesis was significantly reversed by the administration of an ARI. Furthermore, the synthesis of PGI2 by the aortic rings was inversely correlated with the content of sorbitol in sciatic nerves. Those observations suggest that an ARI may have a beneficial effect on the vascular synthesis of PGI2 in diabetes mellitus.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diabetes and cardiovascular disease.The Journal of the American Medical Association. 1979; 241: 2035-2038
- Sex differences in coronary mortality among diabetics in Evans County, Georgia.Journal of Chronic Diseases. 1980; 33: 265-273
- Hyperglycemia polyol metabolism and complications of diabetes mellitus.Annual Review of Medicine. 1975; 26: 521-536
- Studies of the effects of an elevated glucose concentration on the ultrastructure and composite metabolism of the intact rabbit aortic intima-media preparation.Diabetes. 1979; 28: 720-723
- The biochemistry of the complications of diabetes mellitus.Annual Review of Biochemistry. 1981; 50: 385-432
- NIH CONFERENCE. Aldose reductase and complications of diabetes.in: Annals of Internal Medicine. 101. 1984: 82-91
- The Pharmacology of aldose reductase inhibitors.Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology. 1985; 25: 691-714
- Aldose reductase inhibitors and diabetic complications.The American Journal of Medicine. 1987; 83: 298-306
- Clinical significance of erythrocyte sorbitol to blood glucose ratios in type II diabetes.Diabetes Care. 1990; 13: 461-467
- Altered synthesis of prostaglandin in platelet and aorta from spontaneously diabetic Wistar rats.Biochemical Medicine. 1980; 23: 231-235
- Decreased vascular prostacyclin in experimental diabetes.Life Sciences. 1978; 23: 351-356
- Reevaluation of circulating prostacyclin and thromboxane in diabetes.Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Medicine. 1987; 26: 115-122
- Isoliquiritigenin, a new aldose reductase inhibitor from glycyrrhizae radix.Planta Medica. 1990; 56: 254-258
- The effects of thyroxine and methimazole treatment on the synthesis of prostacyclin (PGI2) in the rat.Prostaglandins. 1985; 30: 553-561
- Red cell sorbitol. An indicator of diabetic control.Diabetes. 1980; 29: 861-864
- Glucose-induced alterations in nerve metabolism: current perspective on the pathogenesis of diabetic neuropathy and future directions for research and therapy.Diabetes Care. 1985; 8: 290-299
- Sorbitol, phosphoinositides and sodium-potassium-ATPase in the pathogenesis of diabetic complications.The New England Journal of Medicine. 1987; 316: 599-606
- An enzyme isolated from arteries transforms prostaglandin endoperoxide to an unstable substance that inhibits platelet aggregation.Nature. 1976; 263: 663-665
- Thromboxanes: selective biosynthesis and distinct biological properties.Science. 1976; 193: 163-165
- Arachidonic acid metabolites and the interactions between platelets and blood-vessel walls.The New England Journal of Medicine. 1979; 300: 1142-1147
- Prostaglandins and prostaglandin inhibitors in ischemic heart disease.Annual of Internal Medicine. 1983; 99: 83-92
Accepted: July 3, 1991
Received: May 3, 1991
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.