This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The biochemical essential fatty acid (EFA) status of neonates born after normal and hypertensive pregnancies (PIH) and that of their mothers was assessed by measuring the fatty acid composition of phospholipids (PL), triglycerides (TG) and cholesterol esters (CE) of umbilical cord serum and maternal serum, respectively.
Relative contents of linoleic acid of serum PL and CE were significantly lower in mothers with PIH compared to normal pregnancies. Most other (n-6) polyenes in PL tended to be higher under hypertensive conditions. Total maternal (n-3) polyenes of serum PL were significantly higher in PIH, mainly due to clupanodonic acid, 22:5 (n-3), and cervonic acid, 22:6 (n-3). Total maternal (n-7) and (n-9) fatty acids were also significantly higher in PIH (PL and CE).
The results indicate that PIH is associated with a relative increased unsaturation of maternal serum PL, which might facilitate the placental transfer of long-chain, polyunsaturated fatty acids. As a result, the neonatal EFA status after PIH only slightly differs from normal.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Fatty acid composition of umbilical arteries and veins: possible implications for the fetal EFA-status.Lipids. 1989; 24: 511-517
- Biochemical EFA status of mothers and their neonates after normal pregnancy.Early Human Development. 1990; 24: 239-248
- On the pathogenesis of placental infarcts in pre-eclampsia.Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology British Commonwealth. 1972; 79: 794-799
- Revised definition of pre-eclampsia.Lancet. 1988; 1: 809-812
- A rapid method for total lipid extraction and purification.Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology. 1959; 37: 911-917
- Uptake and tissue content of fatty acids in dog myocardium under normoxic and ischemic conditions.Circulation Research. 1982; 50: 538-546
- Effect of dietary sunflower seed oil and marine oil on platelet membrane fluidity, arterial thrombosis and platelet responses in rats.Atherosclerosis. 1986; 62: 267-276
- Placental transfer of essential fatty acids in humans: Venous-arterial difference for docosahexaenoic acid in fetal umbilical erythrocytes.in: Proceedings National Academy of Science, USA. 87. 1990: 7902-7906
- Nutritional and hormonal factors influencing desaturation of essential fatty acids.Progress in Lipid Research. 1981; 20: 41-47
- Control of polyunsaturated fatty acids in tissue lipids.Journal of American College of Nutrition. 1986; 5: 183-211
- Comparison between the habitual intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids and their concentrations in serum lipid fractions.European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1989; 43: 11-20
Accepted: July 3, 1991
Received: December 12, 1990
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.