This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The present study was undertaken to evaluate the effects of whole amniotic fluid (AF) and fractions of AF on amnion cell prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) production. Amnion cells were grown to confluence and then incubated in the presence of AF, or fractions thereof, obtained at 17–19 weeks gestation (MID), at term prior to the onset of labor (NIL), and at term after spontaneous onset of labor (LABOR). All whole AFs were stimulatory to amnion cell PGE2 production (p < 0.001) but the stimulation by NIL and LABOR AFs was significantly greater (p < 0.001) than stimulation by the MID AF. Fractionation of the AFs from the three groups (n=9–10 per group) revealed multiple discernable peaks of stimulatory activity in each group. The majority of peaks had retention times that were similar among the three groups, and peak stimulatory activities were greater in NIL and LABOR samples than in MID samples.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Specific production of prostaglandin E2 by human amnion in vitro.Prostaglandins. 1978; 15: 377-382
- Prostaglandin output in relation to parturition by cells dispersed from human intrauterine tissues.J Clin Endocrinol Metal. 1983; 57: 694-699
- Stimulation of prostaglandin biosynthesis by urine of the human fetus may serve as a trigger for parturition.Science. 1983; 220: 521-522
- Endogenous stimulant of prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase activity in human amniotic fluid.Biochem Biophys Acta. 1985; 833: 397
- Stimulation of prostaglandin E2 production in amnion cells in culture by substance(s) in human fetal and adult urine.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1983; 114: 1056-1063
- Stimulation of prostaglandin E2 synthesis in human amnion cells maintained in monolayer culture by a substance(s) in amniotic fluid.Prostaglandins Leukotrienes Med. 1984; 15: 399-407
- A Comparison of human amnion tissue and amnion cells in primary culture by morphological and biochemical criteria.In Vitro. 1983; 19: 117-126
- Prostaglandin production by intra-uterine tissues from periparturient sheep: use of a superfusion technique.J Endocr. 1978; 76: 111-121
- Protein measurement with folin phenol reasent.J Biol Chem. 1951; 193: 265-275
- Stimulation of myometrial and decidual prostaglandin production by amniotic fluid from term, but not mid trimester pregnancies.Prostaglandins. 1983; 26: 973-981
- Prostaglandin biosynthesis stimulatory and inhibitory substances in human amniotic fluid during pregnancy and labor.Prostaglandins. 1985; 30: 13-19
Reddi K, Norman R J, Joubert S M. Differential regulation of prostaglandin production by inhibitors and stimulants in amniotic fluid during normal and dysfunctional labor. Prostaglandins 34: 477–491.
Accepted: August 14, 1990
Received: June 21, 1990
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.