This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Acute infections in beagle puppies with canine parainfluenza virus type 2 (CPI2), and CPI2 in combination with Bordetella bronchiseptica (Bb) produce bronchiolitis and increased airways responsiveness to aerosolized histamine during the acute infection. In order to determine whether these observations were associated with increased levels of eicosanoids, the stable metabolites of thromboxane A2 and prostacylin, thromboxane B2 (TXB2) and 6-keto-prostaglandin F1α (6-keto-PGF1α) respectively, and leukotriene B4 were measured in the bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid of 25 beagle puppies (age = 76 ± 1 days, mean ± SEM) 3–4 days after no infection (control, n = 6), inoculation with both CPI2 and Bb (CPI2-Bb, n = 11), inoculation with CPI2 alone (CPI2, n = 4), and inoculation with Bb alone (Bb, n = 4). In addition, plasma levels of TXB2 and 6-keto-PGF1α were measured before and after infection in the CPI2-Bb and control groups. The BAL concentration of thromboxane B2 was increased in the CPI2-Bb group (520 ± 120 pg/ml), but not in the CPI2 (88 ± 40 pg/ml), Bb (235 ± 100 pg/ml), or control groups (120 ± 60 pg/ml, p < 0.01). There also was a borderline increase in BAL concentration of LTB4 in the CP12-Bb group. No differences were observed in the BAL concentration of 6-keto PGF1α. Furthermore, neither TXB2 nor PGF1α was elevated in the plasma of control or CPI2-Bb puppies. These data suggest that increased thromboxane concentrations in BAL fluid are associated with histamine hyperresponsiveness during acute infection in the CPI2-Bb group.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bronchiolitis.American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1978; 118: 759-781
- GHMA Pediatricians. The Tucson children's respiratory study II—Lower respiratory tract infections in the first year of life.American Journal of Epidemiology. 1989; 129: 1232-1246
- Increased incidence of bronchial reactivity in children with a history of bronchiolitis.Journal of Pediatrics. 1981; 98: 551-555
- Wheezing, asthma, and pulmonary dysfunction 10 years after infection with respiratory syncytial virus in infancy.British Medical Journal. 1982; 284: 1665-1669
- Importance of airway inflammation for hyperresponsiveness induced by ozone.American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1983; 127: 686-690
- OKY-046 inhibits anaphylactic bronchoconstriction and reduces histamine level in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in sensitized guinea pigs.Prostaglandins. 1990; 39: 623-637
- Assessment of bronchoalveolar cell and mediator response to isocapnic hyperpnea in asthma.American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1990; 142: 73-78
- Canine parainfluenza type 2 bronchiolitis increases histamine responsiveness in beagle puppies.American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1990; 141: 199-207
- Parainfluenza type II infection in dogs: A Model for lower viral respiratory tract infection in humans.American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1983; 127: 771-775
- A canine model for comparative study of respiratory and systemic immunologic reactions.American Review of Respiratory Disease. 1975; 111: 257-265
- Alveolar lavage in dogs.American Journal of Veterinary Research. 1983; 44: 335-337
- Extraction and chromatographic procedures for purification of prostaglandins, thromboxanes, prostacylin and their metabolites.Advances in Prostaglandin and Thromboxane Research. 1978; 5: 15-38
- Iowa State University Press, Ames1980 Statistical Methods. 2nd ed.
- Lifetime Learning Publications, Belmont1984 (Volume 1: Designed Experiments) Analysis of Messy Data. 2nd ed.
- Alterations in lung prostaglandin synthesis and release in murine respiratory mycoplasmosis.Prostaglandins. 1990; 39: 365-384
- Prostaglandin and thromboxane concentrations in plasma and lung lavage fluids during sequential infection of vaccinated and nonvaccinated calves with bovine respiratory syncytial virus.American Journal of Veterinary Research. 1989; 50: 1254-1262
- O3 induced change in bronchial reactivity to acetylcholine and airway inflammation in humans.Journal of Applied Physiology. 1986; 60: 1321-1326
- Inhibitory action of OKY-046. HCl, a specific TXA2 synthetase inhibitor, on platelet activating factor (PAF)-induced airway hyperresponsiveness of guinea pigs.Japanese Journal of Pharmacology. 1990; 52: 621-630
- Significance of thromboxane generation in ozone-induced airway hyperresponsiveness in dogs.Journal of Applied Physiology. 1985; 59: 1918-1923
- Selective generation of leukotriene B4 by tracheal epithelial cells from dogs.Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 1983; 114: 1071-1076
- Leukotriene B4 induces airway hyperresponsiveness in dogs.Journal of Applied Physiology. 1985; 59: 1941-1946
Accepted: July 3, 1991
Received: May 24, 1991
© 1991 Published by Elsevier Inc.