Kim and coworkers reported an increase of 8-epi-PGF2α in females with hyperthyroidism [
]. The values in urine in hypothyroidism were higher (6.09±6.07) vs. controls (2.50±2.81) but due to the high variation did not reach the level of significance. The authors are concluding that values in hypothyroidism are not different and discussing an oxidation injury in patients with hyperthyroidism. Looking on the distribution of values, the authors show in Figure 1 that the range of isoprostane levels in hyper- and hypothyroidism is not different. They did not provide any information on risk factors, as in particular smoking and hyperlipidemia, and drugs patients eventually were taking. They all might greatly influence isoprostane values.
- Kim K.M.
- Paeng K.-J.
- Hahm J.R.
- Kim D.R.
- Chung B.C.
Elevated urinary 8-isoprostaglandin F2 in females with Graves’ hyperthyroidism.
Prostagl. Leukotr. Essen. Fatty Acids. 2004; 71: 143-147
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Elevated urinary 8-isoprostaglandin F2 in females with Graves’ hyperthyroidism.Prostagl. Leukotr. Essen. Fatty Acids. 2004; 71: 143-147
- Oxidative muscular injury and its relevance to hyperthyroidism.Free Rad. Biol. Med. 1990; 8: 293-303
- Endogenous peroxide levels and autoantibodies to oxidized LDL in hyper- and hypothyroidism.Shock. 1999; 12 (Abstract): 16
- Circulating levels of oxidized low-density lipoprotein in overt and mild hypothyroidism.Thyroid. 2002; 12: 1003-1007
- Increased oxidizability of low-density lipoproteins in hypothyroidism.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 1998; 83: 1752-1755
- Antioxidant status in thyroid dysfunction.Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 2002; 40: 1132-1134
- (Iso)Prostaglandins in saliva indicate oxidation injury after radioiodine therapy.Rev. Esp. Med. Nucl. 2004; 23: 181-186
- Risk for ischemic heart disease and all-cause mortality in subclinical hypothyroidism.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2004; 89: 3365-3370
Published online: October 11, 2004
Accepted: September 14, 2004
Received: September 2, 2004
© 2004 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.