- •Lipid peroxidation has been reported to occur in plasma of cystic fibrosis (CF) patients.
- •Moderate intake of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) may lower oxidative stress.
- •Plasma and platelet vitamin E increased after moderate intake of DHA in CF patients.
- •Our study supports the antioxidant potential of moderate DHA intake in CF patients.
Abbreviations:CF (cystic fibrosis), CFTR (cystic fibrosis trans-membrane conductance regulator), TxB2 (thromboxane B2)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
- Discovery of novel potent DF508. CFTR correctors that target the nucleotide binding domain.EMBO Mol. Med. 2013; 5: 1-18
- Role of free radicals in the pathogenesis of cystic fibrosis.Thorax. 1994; 49: 738-742
- Oxidative stress in stable cystic fibrosis patients: do we need higher antioxidants plasma levels?.J. Cyst. Fibros. 2013; 12: 35-41
- Plasma fatty acids and lipid hydroperoxides increase after antibiotic therapy in cystic fibrosis.Eur. Respir. J. 2007; 29: 958-964
- Elevated plasma levels of F2 alpha isoprostane in cystic fibrosis.Lipids. 1999; 34: 551-556
- Abnormal levels of prostaglandins and fatty acids in blood of children with cystic fibrosis.Lancet. 1978; 2: 236-238
- Association of cystic fibrosis with abnormalities in fatty acid metabolism.N. Engl. J. Med. 2004; 350: 560-569
- Plasma lipidomics reveals potential prognostic signatures within a cohort of cystic fibrosis patients.J. Lipid Res. 2011; 52: 1011-1022
- Relation between defective regulation of arachidonic acid release and symptoms in cystic fibrosis.Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 1988; : S1-S4
- Platelets as immune cells: bridging inflammation and cardiovascular disease.Circ. Res. 2007; 40: 27-40
- Nouvelle cuisine: platelets served with inflammation.J. Immunol. 2015; 194: 5579-5587
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) expression in human platelets: impact on mediators and mechanisms of the inflammatory response.FASEB J. 2010; 24: 3970-3980
- Role of Pseudomonas aeruginosa lipase in inflammatory effector cells (platelets, granulocytes, and monocytes).Infect. Immun. 1996; 64: 3252-3285
- The inflammatory role of platelets in cystic fibrosis.Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2006; 173: 483-490
- Platelet hyperaggregability in cystic fibrosis.Prostaglandins Leukot. Med. 1987; 26: 91-103
- Increasing intakes of the long chain omega-3 docosahexaenoic acid: effects on platelet functions and redox status in healthy men.FASEB J. 2009; 23: 2909-2916
- Moderate oral supplementation with docosahexaenoic acid improves platelet function and oxidative stress in type 2 diabetic patients.Thromb. Haemost. 2015; 114: 289-296
- DHA and EPA reverse cystic fibrosis-related FA abnormalities by suppressing FA desaturase expression and activity.J. Lipid Res. 2012; 53: 257-265
- Fatty acids platelets and oxidative markers following intravenous n-3 fatty acids administration in cystic fibrosis: an open pilot observational study.J. Cyst. Fibros. 2007; 6: 320-326
- A simple and efficient method for platelet isolation.Thromb. Res. 1980; 17: 581-588
- The determination of the fatty acid composition of serum lipids separated by thin-layer chromatography; and a comparison with column chromatography.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1963; 70: 423-431
- Determination of plasma lipoperoxides by high-performance liquid chromatography.J. Chromatogr. 1987; 413: 237-241
- Functions and tocopherol content of blood platelets from elderly people after low intake of purified eicosapentaenoic acid.Thromb. Res. 1990; 57: 1-12
- Conversion of alpha-linolenic acid to longer-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in human adults.Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 2005; 45: 581-597
- A membrane lipid imbalance plays a role in the phenotypic expression of cystic fibrosis in cftr(−/−) mice.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 1999; 96: 13995-14000
- Health benefits of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).Pharm. Res. 1999; 40: 211-225
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and oxygenated metabolism in atherothrombosis.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1851; 2015: 485-495
- Marine omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: effects, mechanisms and clinical relevance.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1851; 2015: 469-484
- Fatty acid alterations and n-3 fatty acid supplementation in cystic fibrosis.Prostaglandins Leukot. Ess. Fat. Acids. 2007; 77: 309-318
- Supplementation with an algae source of docosahexaenoic acid increases (n-3) fatty acid status and alters selected risk factors for heart disease in vegetarian subjects.J. Nutr. 1996; 126: 3032-3039
- F(2)-isoprostanes: sensitive and specific non-invasive indices of lipid peroxidation in vivo.Atherosclerosis. 1999; 147: 1-10
- The isoprostanes. Current knowledge and directions for future research.Biochem. Pharm. 1996; 51: 1-9
- Deficiency of vitamins E and A in cystic fibrosis is independent of pancreatic function and current enzyme and vitamin supplementation.Eur. J. Pediatr. 1996; 155: 281-285
- Polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation reverses cystic fibrosis-related fatty acid abnormalities in CFTR−/− mice by suppressing fatty acid desaturases.J. Nutr. Biochem. 2015; 26: 36-43
- Neuroprotectin D1: a docosahexaenoic acid-derived docosatriene protects human retinal pigment epithelial cells from oxidative stress.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2004; 101: 8491-8496
- Poxytrins, a class of oxygenated products from polyunsaturated fatty acids, potently inhibit blood platelet aggregation.FASEB J. 2011; 25: 382-388