- •We investigated the role of PLA2G6 and PLA2G4C gene polymorphisms in schizophrenia.
- •The investigated polymorphisms alone do not contribute to schizophrenia risk/onset.
- •The interaction between the polymorphisms contributes to schizophrenia risk.
- •The PLA2G4C polymorphism alone influences psychopathology data in males.
- •The PLA2G6/PLA2G4C interaction also influences psychopathology data in males.
We investigated the allele and genotype frequency of the rs4375 and rs1549637 polymorphisms in phospholipase A2 (PLA2)G6 and PLA2G4C genes in 203 patients with schizophrenia and 191 controls in a Croatian population. We hypothesized that these polymorphic variations might influence the age of schizophrenia onset and Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale psychopathology (PANSS) data. We detected a significant overrepresentation of the PLA2G6-CT and PLA2G4C-AT genotype combination in patients compared with controls (14.7% vs. 7.3%, P < 0.05). The combined PLA2G6/PLA2G4C heterozygosity was associated with about a two-fold higher schizophrenia risk. We found no significant influence of the PLA2G6 and PLA2G4C polymorphisms on mean age at first hospital admission (P > 0.05) and that the investigated polymorphisms significantly influenced the clinical psychopathology only in male patients. The PLA2G4C polymorphism accounted for approximately 12% of negative symptom severity; whereas, the PLA2G6/PLA2G4C interaction contributed to a similar extent to total PANSS symptom variations.
Abbreviations:ANOVA (one-way analysis of variance), ARA (arachidonic acid (20:4n-6)), CI (confidence interval), OR (odds ratio), PLA2 (phospholipase A2), iPLA2β (calcium-independent phospholipase A2 beta), cPLA2γ (cytosolic phospholipase A2 gamma), PANSS (Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale), χ2 test (chi square test)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Allelic association analysis of phospholipase A2 genes with schizophrenia.Psychiatr. Genet. 2004; 14: 157-160
- A study of a genetic association between the PTGS2/PLA2G4A locus and schizophrenia.Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fat. Acids. 2004; 70: 413-415
- Cytosolic PLA2 gene possibly contribute to the etiology of schizophrenia.Am. J. Med. Genet. B. 2005; 137: 56-58
- A genetic study of two calcium-independent cytosolic PLA2 genes in schizophrenia.Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fat. Acids. 2005; 73: 351-354
- BanI polymorphism of cytosolic phospholipase A2 gene is associated with age at onset in male patients with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder.Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fat. Acids. 2008; 78: 351-360
- The impact of PLA2G4A and PTGS2 gene polymorphisms, and red blood cell PUFAs deficit on niacin skin flush response in schizophrenia patients.Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fat. Acids. 2013; 88: 185-190
- Polymorphisms in PLA2G6 and PLA2G4C genes for calcium-independent phospholipase A2 do not contribute to attenuated niacin skin flush response in schizophrenia patients.Prostaglandins Leukot. Essent. Fat. Acids. 2015; 100: 29-32
- Schizophrenia: an association study targets phospholipase A2 genes as potential sites of susceptible genes.Psychiatry Res. 2010; 175: 186-187
- Calcium-independent phospholipase A(2): structure and function.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2000; 1488: 28-39
- The ABC's of Group IV cytosolic phospholipase A2.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1636; 2004: 213-218
- Roles of C-terminal processing, and involvement in transacylation reaction of human group IVC phospholipase A2 (cPLA2gamma).J. Biochem. 2005; 137: 557-567
- The role of phospholipases A2 in schizophrenia.Mol. Psychiatry. 2006; 11: 547-556
- The PLA2G4A gene and negative symptoms in a Chinese population.Schizophr. Res. 2006; 86: 326-328
- Allelic association study between phospholipase A2 genes and bipolar affective disorder.Bipolar Disord. 2003; 5: 295-299
- Older people with chronic schizophrenia.Aging Ment. Health. 2005; 9 (Find all citations by this author (default)): 315-324
Published online: June 13, 2017
Accepted: June 12, 2017
Received in revised form: March 30, 2017
Received: November 10, 2016
© 2017 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.