- •Inflammation has a key role in cystic fibrosis pathophysiology
- •Benefits of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in cystic fibrosis inflammation are controversial
- •Long-term supplementation with DHA in CF did not improve inflammatory biomarkers
- •Long-term supplementation with DHA in CF did not improve clinical outcomes
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
- Inflammation and its genesis in cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2015; 50: S39-S56https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.23242
- Inflammation in cystic fibrosis: An update.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2018; 53: S30-S50https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.24129
- Early pulmonary inflammation in infants with cystic fibrosis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 151: 1075-1082https://doi.org/10.1164/ajrccm.151.4.7697234
- Defective lipoxin-mediated anti-inflammatory activity in the cystic fibrosis airway.Nat Immunol. 2004; 5: 388-392https://doi.org/10.1038/ni1056
- Chemoattractants and cytokines in primary ciliary dyskinesia and cystic fibrosis: key players in chronic respiratory diseases.Cell Mol Immunol. 2018; 15: 312-323https://doi.org/10.1038/cmi.2017.118
- Fatty acid alterations and n-3 fatty acid supplementation in cystic fibrosis.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2007; 77: 309-318https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2007.10.009
- Analysis of lipid abnormalities in CF mice.Methods Mol Med. 2002; 70: 517-524https://doi.org/10.1385/1-59259-187-6:517
- Association of cystic fibrosis with abnormalities in fatty acid metabolism.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 560-569https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa021218
- Essential fatty acid deficiency in well nourished young cystic fibrosis patients.Eur J Pediatr. 1997; 156: 952-956
- Cell culture models demonstrate that CFTR dysfunction leads to defective fatty acid composition and metabolism.J Lipid Res. 2008; 49: 1692-1700https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.M700388-JLR200
- Omega-3 fatty acids and inflammatory processes: from molecules to man.Biochem Soc Trans. 2017; 45: 1105-1115https://doi.org/10.1042/BST20160474
- Eicosapentaenoic acid in cystic fibrosis: evidence of a pathogenetic role for leukotriene B4.Lancet. 1993; 342: 465-469
- Fatty acid supplements improve respiratory, inflammatory and nutritional parameters in adults with cystic fibrosis.Arch Bronconeumol. 2010; 46: 70-77https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arbres.2009.11.001
- Effect of an 8-month treatment with omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic) in patients with cystic fibrosis.JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2003; 27: 52-57https://doi.org/10.1177/014860710302700152
- Biological effects of a dietary omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids supplementation in cystic fibrosis patients: a randomized, crossover placebo-controlled trial.Clin Nutr. 2006; 25: 418-427https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2005.10.011
- Supplementation with fatty acids influences the airway nitric oxide and inflammatory markers in patients with cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 50: 537-544https://doi.org/10.1097/MPG.0b013e3181b47967
- The clinical benefits of long-term supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids in cystic fibrosis patients - A pilot study.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2016; 108: 45-50https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2016.03.014
- The absorption and effect of dietary supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids on serum leukotriene B4 in patients with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 1994; 18: 211-217
- Energy supplements rich in linoleic acid improve body weight and essential fatty acid status of cystic fibrosis patients.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2000; 31: 418-423
- A randomized placebo-controlled study on high-dose oral algal docosahexaenoic acid supplementation in children with cystic fibrosis.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2013; 88: 163-169https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2012.10.002
- Omega‐3 fatty acid supplementation for cystic fibrosis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; CD002201https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002201.pub6
- CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.BMJ. 2010; 340: c332https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c332
- Effects of Omega-3 Long Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Supplementation on Cardiovascular Mortality: The Importance of the Dose of DHA.Nutrients. 2017; 9https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9121305
- Effect of aerosolized recombinant human DNase on exacerbations of respiratory symptoms and on pulmonary function in patients with cystic fibrosis. The Pulmozyme Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1994; 331: 637-642https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199409083311003
- Evidence of intestinal inflammation in patients with cystic fibrosis.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 51: 304-308https://doi.org/10.1097/MPG.0b013e3181d1b013
- The relationship of clinical and inflammatory markers to outcome in stable patients with cystic fibrosis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2007; 42: 216-220https://doi.org/10.1002/ppul.20553
- Clinical effects of diet supplementation with DHA in pediatric patients suffering from cystic fibrosis.Minerva Pediatr. 2013; 65: 389-398
- The use of an intravenous fish oil emulsion enriched with omega-3 fatty acids in patients with cystic fibrosis.Nutrition. 1996; 12: 334-339
- Bioavailability and safety of a high dose of docosahexaenoic acid triacylglycerol of algal origin in cystic fibrosis patients: a randomized, controlled study.Nutrition. 2006; 22: 36-46https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2005.05.006
- Oral DHA supplementation in DeltaF508 homozygous cystic fibrosis patients.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2008; 78: 109-115https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2007.12.005
- Oral absorption of omega-3 fatty acids in patients with cystic fibrosis who have pancreatic insufficiency and in healthy control subjects.J Pediatr. 1994; 124: 400-408
- Incorporation and clearance of omega-3 fatty acids in erythrocyte membranes and plasma phospholipids.Clin Chem. 2006; 52: 2265-2272https://doi.org/10.1373/clinchem.2006.072322
Declaration of interest: none
This study has been supported by the Spanish Clinical Research Network (SCReN), funded by the Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Subdirección General de Evaluación y Fomento de la Investigación, grant PT13/0002/0007 integrated in the Plan Estatal de I+D+I 2013-2016, and cofinanced by the European Regional Development Fund.
This study was funded by:
a. Ministry of Health (Orden SAS/2377/2010 de ayudas para la investigación clínica independiente).
b. Consorcio de Apoyo a la Investigación Biomédica en Red (CAIBER): reference code: 1392-I-036.
c. CAIBER 2012 grant for Marta Muñoz as clinical researcher.
d. Sira Carrasco grant, awarded by Sociedad Española de Gastroenterología, Hepatología y Nutrición Pediátrica (SEGHNP) 2011.
e. “Ayuda a la Fibrosis Quística” grant, awarded by Pablo Motos Foundation 2011.
f. “Ayuda a la Fibrosis Quística” grant, awarded by Sira Carrasco Foundation 2011.
g. “Ayuda a la Fibrosis Quística” grant, awarded by Sira Carrasco Foundation 2014.
h. Project OBN18PI03, Instituto de Salud Carlos III
Sponsor had not any role in study design, in collection, analysis or interpretation of data, in the writing of the report or in the decision to submit the article for publication.