- •An increase in brain arachidonic acid (AA) uptake is a marker of calcium-dependent phospholipase A2 activation and neuroinflammation.
- •A novel translational synthesis approach of 20-[18F]fluoroarachidonic acid ([18F]-FAA) for PET imaging is presented.
- •[18F]-FAA showed bioequivalent signaling properties to AA in cells.
- •The brain incorporation coefficient (K*) of [18F]-FAA was estimated via multiple methods in ApoE4 targeted replacement mice using the image derived input function.
- •The application of [18F]-FAA PET imaging to humans has relevance to identify and guide the effectiveness of treatments focused on neuroinflammation in neurodegenerative diseases.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
- Phospholipase A2 and arachidonic acid in Alzheimer's disease.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2010; 1801: 784-790
- APOE alleles and diet in brain aging and Alzheimer's disease.Front. Aging Neurosci. 2020; : 12
- APOE ε4 specific imbalance of arachidonic acid and docosahexaenoic acid in serum phospholipids identifies individuals with preclinical mild cognitive ompairment/Alzheimer's disease.Aging (Albany NY). 2017; 9: 964-985
- Lipids and brain inflammation in APOE4-associated dementia.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2022; 33: 16-24
- Tracking neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's disease: the role of positron emission tomography imaging.J. Neuroinflam. 2014; 11 (-120): 120
- Linking lipids to Alzheimer's disease: cholesterol and beyond.Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2011; 12: 284-296
- Role of phosphatidylcholine-DHA in preventing APOE4-associated Alzheimer's disease.Faseb J. 2019; 33: 1554-1564
- The effect of APOE genotype on the delivery of DHA to cerebrospinal fluid in Alzheimer's disease.Alzheimer's Res. therapy. 2016; 8: 25
- Eicosanoid lipidome activation in post-mortem brain tissues of individuals with APOE4 and Alzheimer's dementia.Alzheimer's Res. Therapy. 2022; 14: 152
- Calcium-dependent cytosolic phospholipase A2 activation is implicated in neuroinflammation and oxidative stress associated with ApoE4.Mol. Neurodegener. 2022; 17: 42
- Effect of APOE genotype on plasma docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), eicosapentaenoic acid, arachidonic acid, and hippocampal volume in the Alzheimer's disease cooperative study-sponsored DHA clinical trial.J. Alzheimers Dis. 2020; 74: 975-990
- Brain incorporation of [11C]arachidonic acid in young healthy humans measured with positron emission tomography.J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 2002; 22: 1453-1462
- The synthesis and in vivo pharmacokinetics of fluorinated arachidonic acid: implications for imaging neuroinflammation.J. Nucl. Med. 2012; 53: 1383-1391
- Imaging neuroinflammation in Alzheimer's disease with radiolabeled arachidonic acid and PET.J. Nucl. Med. 2008; 49: 1414-1421
- Synthesis of 20-[18F] fluoroarachidonic acid: a potential phospholipid metabolic agent.J. Label. Compd. Radiopharm. 1994; 34: 1121-1127
- Synthesis and preliminary evaluation of 18F-dluoro-4-thia-oleate as a PET probe of fatty acid oxidation.J. Nucl. Med. 2010; 51: 1310
- A method for generating image-derived input function in quantitative 18F-FDG PET study based on the monotonicity of the input and output function curve.Nucl. Med. Commun. 2012; 33: 362-370
- Intravenous injection of [1-14C]arachidonate to examine regional brain lipid metabolism in unanesthetized rats.J. Neurosci. Res. 1989; 24: 413-423
- Graphical evaluation of blood-to-brain transfer constants from multiple-time uptake data.J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 1983; 3: 1-7
- Chemical synthesis and biological evaluation of ω-hydroxy polyunsaturated fatty acids.Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2017; 27: 620-625
- Stimulation of p38 ohosphorylation and activity by arachidonic acid in HeLa cells, HL60 promyelocytic leukemic cells, and human neutrophils: evidence for cell type-specific activation of mitogen-activated protein kinases.J. Biol. Chem. 1998; 273: 19277-19282
- Arachidonic acid induces brain endothelial cell apoptosis via p38-MAPK and intracellular calcium signaling.Microvasc. Res. 2015; 98: 145-158
- Imaging elevated brain arachidonic acid signaling in unanesthetized serotonin transporter (5-HTT)-deficient mice.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2009; 34: 1695-1709
- In vivo fatty acid incorporation into brain phosholipids in relation to plasma availability, signal transduction and membrane remodeling.J. Mol. Neurosci. 2001; 16: 243-261
- Chronic lithium administration attenuates up-regulated brain arachidonic acid metabolism in a rat model of neuroinflammation.J. Neurochem. 2007; 102: 761-772
- Three-dimensional imaging of the mouse neurovasculature with magnetic resonance microscopy.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e22643
- Intravenously injected [1-14C]arachidonic acid targets phospholipids, and [1-14C]palmitic acid targets neutral lipids in hearts of awake rats.Lipids. 2000; 35: 891-898
- 20-[18F]Fluoroarachidonic acid: tissue biodistribution and incorporation into phospholipids.Biol. Pharm. Bull. 1996; 19: 1316-1321
- The FDG lumped constant in normal human brain.J. Nucl. Med. 2002; 43: 1157-1166
- DHA brain uptake and APOE4 status: a PET study with [1-11C]-DHA.Alzheimer's Res. Therapy. 2017; 9: 23
- ApoE lipidation as a therapeutic target in Alzheimer's disease.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2020; 21: 6336