This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
13,14-Dihydro-17-phenyl-18,19,20-trinor-PGF2α-isopropyl ester (latanoprost) is a new prostaglandin drug developed for the treatment of glaucoma. In clinical trials a daily dose of 1.5 μg is effective in reducing the intraocular pressure. In toxicological studies doses from 2 μg/eye to 100 μg/eye have been used in various species. This paper reports the development and validation of a radioimmunoassay of latanoprost acid (PhXA85) and its application to toxicokinetic studies performed in monkeys. An antiserum was raised in rabbits by immunization with PhXA85 coupled to BSA at the carboxylic acid by the mixed anhydride method. The antibody titre was found to be about 1:2000 to 1:3000. The cross-reactivity with 13,14-dihydro-15(R,S)-17-phenyl-trinor-PGF2α, 13,14-dihydro-15(S)-17-phenyl-trinor-PGF2α, dinor-PhXA85, 17-phenyl-trinor-PGF2α, latanoprost and PGF2α was 46.4, 4.2, 7.6, 2.2, 0.1 and 0.039%, respectively. The intra-assay precision was between ± 7.7 and 11.7% (CV) at the level of 320 pg/ml and ±8.3 and 9.7% with 1280 pg/ml in plasma samples from man, monkey, rat and aqueous humour from human and rabbit. Similarly, the intra-assay accuracy varied between 95.9 and 102.5% and 89.0 and 109.0% for the low and high standards, respectively. The inter-assay precision and accuracy were between ±6.0 and 13.4% and 91.0 and 92.8% in the monkey plasma samples. The limit of detection was 3 pg/tube or 30 pg/ml. In a long-term study, the acid of latanoprost was rapidly cleared from plasma in monkeys treated with eye drops of latanoprost (2 × 3 μg/day) over a period of 1 year.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Phenyl substituted prostaglandin analogues for glaucoma treatment.Drugs of the Future. 1992; 17: 691-704
- Phenyl-substituted prostaglandins: Potent and selective antiglaucoma agents.J Med Chem. 1993; 36: 243-248
- The ocular effects of prostaglandins and therapeutic potential of a new PGF2α analogue, PhXA41 (latanoprost), for glaucoma management.J Lipid Med. 1993; 6: 535-543
- Intraocular pressure reducing effect of PhXA41 in ocular hypertension.Ophthalmology. 1993; 100: 1305-1311
- Intraocular pressure-reducing effect of PhXA41 in patients with increased eye pressure.Ophthalmology. 1993; 100: 1312-1317
- Latanoprost administered once daily caused a maintained reduction of intraocular pressure in glaucoma patients treated concomitantly with timolol.Br J Ophthalmol. 1995; 79: 12-16
- The potential of prostaglandin derivatives in glaucoma therapy.Curr Op Ophthalmol. 1993; 4: 44-50
- Comparative phase III clinical trial of latanoprost and timolol in patients with elevated intraocular pressure.Adv Prostaglandins Thromboxane Leukot Res. 1995; 23: 527-531
- Esterase distribution in the rabbit cornea and its implications in ocular drug bioavailability.Biopharm Drug Dis. 1982; 3: 291-300
- The ocular pharmacokinetics of eicosanoids and their derivatives. 1. Comparison of ocular eicosanoid penetration and distribution following the topical application of PGF2α, PGF2α-1-methyl ester, PGF2α-1-isopropyl ester.Exp Eye Res. 1987; 44: 217-226
- Presence of a 15-ketoprostaglandin Δ13-reductase in porcine cornea.Acta Chem Scand. 1992; 46: 108-110
- Corneal permeability to and ocular metabolism of phenyl substituted prostaglandin esters in vitro.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1994; 50: 161-168
- The pharmacokinetics of latanoprost in cynomolgus monkey.Invest Opthalmol Vis Sci. 1993; 34 (suppl): 1155
- The general pharmacokinetics and metabolism of latanoprost, a new antiglaucoma drug.Exp Eye Res. 1994; 59: P146
- Radioimmunoassay for urinary metabolites for prostaglandin F2α.Prostaglandins. 1982; 12: 759-783
- Blood plasma and urinary metabolites of PGF2α as parameters of PGF2α release in the cattle.in: Proc 10th Int Cong Anim Reprod and A. I., Illinois, USA. Vol. III. 1984: 501 (1–3)
- Metabolites of PGF2α in blood plasma and urine as parameters of PGF2α release in cattle.Acta Vet Scand. 1987; 28: 409-420
Accepted: May 15, 1996
Received: April 26, 1996
© 1996 Published by Elsevier Inc.