This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Prostacyclin (PGl2) and thromboxane A2 (TXA2) play an important role in the pathophysiology of various cardiovascular diseases. The balance between PGl2 and TXA2 regulates the interaction between platelets and the vessel wall in vivo. In this study we measured PGl2 and TXA2 synthesis by analysing their urinary index metabolites 2,3-dinor-6-keto-PGF1α and 11-dehydro-TXB2, respectively, in acute (10 patients) and chronic (10 patients) lower limb ischaemia. Both PGl2 and TXA2 synthesis were increased about two-fold in patients with acute lower limb ischaemia compared to chronic lower limb ischaemia. However, the ratio was more or less the same in acute and chronic lower limb ischaemia. In patients with acute lower limb ischaemia caused by thrombotic occlusion, PGl2 and TXA2 formation were about two times higher than in patients with acute lower limb ischaemia caused by embolic occlusion. Elevation of PGl2 and TXA2 synthesis in acute lower limb ischaemia may reflect increased platelet-vascular wall interactions without changing the ratio.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acute atherosclerotic thrombosis.in: Haimovici H Vascular Emergencies. Appleton Century Crofts, New York1982: 213
- Acute ischaemia of extremities in metropolitan area during one year.J Cardiovasc Surg. 1984; 25: 518-522
- The outcome in arterial thrombosis misdiagnosed as arterial embolism.Acta Chir Scand. 1986; 152: 251-256
- Acute arterial thrombosis of lower extremity.Arch Surg. 1984; 119: 784-787
- Management of acute lower extremity arterial ischemia due to embolism and thrombosis.Surgery. 1978; 84: 822-834
- Fate of the patients with chronic leg ischaemia.J Cardiovasc Surg. 1989; 30: 50-57
- Prostaglandins, prostacyclin, and thromboxane in cardiovascular diseases.Drug Develop Res. 1986; 7: 341-359
- The prostacyclin-thromboxane A2 balance: Pathophysiological and therapeutic implications.Br Med Bull. 1983; 39: 271-276
- Platelet activation in unstable coronary disease.N Engl J Med. 1986; 315: 983-989
- Thromboxane and prostacyclin formation in patients with deep vein thrombosis.Thromb Res. 1987; 45: 393-402
- Increased prostacyclin biosynthesis in patients with severe atherosclerosis and platelet activation.N Engl J Med. 1984; 17: 1065-1068
- Analysis of prostacyclin and thromboxane biosynthesis in cardiovascular diseases.Circulation. 1983; 67: 1174-1177
- Solid-phase extraction of urinary 11-dehydrothromboxane B2 for reliable determination with radioimmunoassay.Anal Biochem. 1992; 202: 299-305
- Selective solid-phase extraction of urinary 2,3-dinor-6-ketoprostaglandin F1α for determination with radioimmunoassay.Anal Biochem. 1994; 220: 351-359
- Eicosanoid biosynthesis and platelet function with advancing age.Thromb Res. 1986; 41: 545-554
- Effects of low-dose aspirin on endogeneous eicosanoid formation in normal and atherosclerotic men.Thromb Res. 1988; 50: 377-386
- Defective fibrinolytic and prostacyclin-like activity in human atheromatous plaques.Thromb Haemostas. 1978; 39: 535-536
- Treatment of lower limb ischaemia due to atherosclerosis in diabetic and non-diabetic patients with iloprost, a stable analogue of prostacyclin.Drug Invest. 1991; 3: 351-359
- Platelet inhibition with ASA/Dipyridamole after percutaneous ballon angioplasty in patients with symptomatic lower limb arterial disease.Eur J Vasc Surg. 1994; 8: 83-88
Accepted: May 16, 1996
Received: April 26, 1996
© 1996 Published by Elsevier Inc.