This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) stimulated prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) formation and induction of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression without changing the levels of COX-1 protein in rat peritoneal macrophages. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (nimesulide, indomethacin and ibuprofen) strongly inhibited LPS-stimulated PGE2 production without any effect on COX-2 protein expression, suggesting that NSAIDs are active in inhibiting the ability of COX-2 to convert arachidonic acid (AA) endogenously released in response to LPS stimulation. Exogenous AA can be converted to PGE2 by both COX isoforms even in LPS-stimulated macrophages. NSAIDs inhibited PGE2 production from exogenous AA mediated by both COX-1 and COX-2. However, the two isoforms interacted differentially with different NSAIDs. Furthermore, NSAIDs were distinctly more active in inhibiting PGE2 production from endogenous AA than that from exogenous AA. These data suggest that PGE2 production through COX-2 from exogenous AA may not be subject to the same regulatory processes as that from endogenous AA and the two metabolic processes may be differentially sensitive to different NSAIDs.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase: structure and catalysis.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1991; 1083: 1-17
- Expression of a mitogen-responsive gene encoding prostaglandin synthase is regulated by mRNA splicing.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 88. 1991: 2692-2696
- TIS10, a phorbol ester tumor promoter-inducible mRNA from Swiss 3T3 cells, encodes a novel prostaglandin synthase/cyclooxygenase homologue.J Biol Chem. 1991; 266: 12866-12872
- Prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase: regulation of enzyme expression.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1991; 1083: 121-134
- The induction and suppression of prostaglandin H2 synthase (cyclooxygenase) in human monocytes.J Biol Chem. 1990; 265: 16737-16740
- Selective expression of mitogen-inducible cyclooxygenase in macrophages stimulated with lipopolysaccharide.J Biol Chem. 1992; 267: 25934-25938
- Prostaglandin G/H synthase isoenzyme 2 expression in fibroblasts: regulation by dexamethasone, mitogens, and oncogenes.Arch Biochem Biophys. 1993; 306: 169-177
- Purification and characterization of a novel, distinct isoform of prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase induced by human chorionic gonadotropin in granulosa cells of rat preovulatory follicles.J Biol Chem. 1992; 267: 6382-6388
- Phorbol ester and epidermal growth factor enhance the expression of two inducible prostaglandin H synthase genes in rat tracheal epithelial cells.Arch Biochem Biophys. 1993; 304: 226-234
- Prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase-1 and -2 couple to different transmembrane stimuli to generate prostaglandin D2 in mouse bone marrow-derived mast cells.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 22269-22275
- Ligand-induced prostaglandin synthesis requires expression of the TIS10/PGS-2 prostaglandin synthase gene in murine fibroblasts and macrophages.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 15473-15480
- cDNA cloning and functional activity of a glucocorticoid-regulated inflammatory cyclooxygenase.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 89. 1992: 4888-4892
- Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis as a mechanism of action for aspirin-like drugs.Nature New Biol. 1971; 231: 232-235
- Selective inhibition of cyclooxygenase 2.Biochem Pharmacol. 1994; 48: 1605-1610
- NS-398, a new anti-inflammatory agent, selectively inhibits prostaglandin G/H synthase/cyclooxygenase (COX-2) activity in vitro.Prostaglandins. 1994; 47: 55-59
- Expression and selective inhibition of the constitutive and inducible forms of human cyclooxygenase.Biochem J. 1995; 305: 479-484
- Selectivity of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs as inhibitors of constitutive and inducible cyclooxygenase.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 90. 1993: 11693-11697
- New insights into the mode of action of anti-inflammatory drugs — review.Inflamm Res. 1995; 44: 1-10
Nakatsugi S., Terada N., Yoshimura T., Horie Y., Furukawa M. Effects of nimesulide, a preferential cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor, on caargeenan-induced pleurisy and stress induced gastric ulcer in rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids [in press].
- Differential inhibition of prostaglandin endoperoxide synthase (cyclooxygenase) isozymes by aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.J Biol Chem. 1993; 268: 6610-6614
- Molecular nature of phospholipases A2 involved in prostaglandin I2 synthesis in human umbilical vein endothelial cells.J Biol Chem. 1993; 268: 839-844
- Purification, characterization and selective inhibition of human prostaglandin G/H synthase 1 and 2 expressed in the baculovirus system.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1994; 1209: 130-139
- Acetylation of prostaglandin synthase by aspirin.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 72. 1975: 3073-3076
Accepted: June 18, 1996
Received: May 15, 1996
© 1996 Published by Elsevier Inc.