This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Insulin resistance is an important condition which underlies much of the coronary artery disease in affluent societies. We have related insulin resistance, as assessed by fasting plasma insulin, to erythrocyte membrane composition in 54 healthy men and women on a low fat diet. We found a inverse relationship (r = −0.41, P = 0.002) between fasting plasma insulin and the percentage of arachidonic acid in erythrocyte fatty acids. An inverse relationship of similar strength was found with total n-6 fatty acids and a positive relationship was found with the percentage of saturated fatty acids (r = 0.39, P < 0.01). No relationship was found with n-3 fatty acids. We would suggest that n-6 fatty acids, and in particular arachidonic acid, modify the membrane environment of the insulin receptor (or the glucose transporters) so that lower levels of insulin are required for glucose homeostasis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Diabetes and atherosclerosis.Diabetes Metab Rev. 1987; 3: 463-524
- Hyperinsulinemia as a predictor of coronary artery disease mortality in a healthy population: the Paris Prospective Study, 15-year follow-up.Diabetologia. 1991; 34: 56-61
- Insulin, insulin resistance and dyslipidemia.NY Acad Sci. 1993; 683: 1-8
- Visceral obesity in men.Diabetes. 1992; 41: 826-834
- Diet fat composition alters membrane phospholipid composition, insulin binding, and glucose metabolism in adipocytes from control and diabetic animals.J Biol Chem. 1990; 265: 11143-11150
- The relation between insulin sensitivity and the fatty-acid composition of skeletal-muscle phospholipids.N Eng J Med. 1993; 328: 238-244
- Insulin secretion and insulin action related to the serum phospholipid fatty acid pattern in healthy men.Metabolism. 1989; 38: 188-192
- Body fat distribution influences the HDL response to dietary fat and cholesterol in women.Arterio Thromb Vasc Biol. 1995; 15: 1070-1078
Vessby S., Tengblad S., Lithell H. Insulin sensitivity is related to the fatty acid composition of serum lipids and skeletal muscle phospholipids in 70-year-old men. Diabetologia37: 1044–1050.
- Skeletal muscle membrane lipid composition is related to adiposity and insulin action.J Clin Invest. 1995; 96: 2802-2808
- Relationships between the fatty acid status and insulinemic indexes in obese children.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1994; 51: 317-321
- Membrane lipid alterations and Na+-pumping activity in erythrocytes from IDDM and NIDDM subjects.Diabetes. 1989; 38: 825-831
- Red blood cell and plasma fatty acid composition in diabetes mellitus.Metabolism. 1988; 37: 711-713
- Fatty acid composition of serum lipids and erythrocyte membranes in type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetic men.Metabolism. 1991; 40: 175-180
- Effect of insulin treatment on fatty acids of plasma and erythrocyte membrane lipids in type 2 diabetes.Clin Chim Acta. 1988; 171: 293-303
- Improvement of diabetic control by continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy changes fatty acid composition of serum lipids and erythrocytes in type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes.Diabetologia. 1986; 29: 690-694
- The plasma and erythrocyte fatty acid composition of poorly controlled, insulin-dependent (type 1) diabetic patients and the effect of improved metabolic control.Clin Chim Acta. 1984; 144: 203-212
- Linoleic-acid-enriched diet: long term effects on serum lipoprotein and apolipoprotein concentrations and insulin sensitivity in non insulin-dependent diabetic patients.Am J Clin Nutr. 1989; 49: 448-456
- Spontaneous diabetes in BB rats: Evidence for insulin dependent liver microsomal −6 and −5 desaturase activities.Hormon Metab Res. 1990; 22: 405-407
- Insulin restores fatty acid composition earlier in liver microsomes than erythrocyte membranes in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1995; 29: 93-98
- The effect of dietary N-3 fatty acids on osmotic fragility and membrane fluidity of human erythrocytes.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1993; 215 (Suppl): 75-84
- Composition of phospholipid fatty acids in red blood cell membranes of patients in intensive care units: effects of different intakes of soybean oil, medium chain triglycerides, and black-current seed oil.JPEN: J Parent Ent Nutr. 1992; 16: 136-141
- Fatty acid composition of serum cholesteryl esters and erythrocyte membranes as indicators of linoleic acid intake in man.Am J Clin Nut. 1989; 49: 269-276
- Fatty acid composition of serum cholesterol esters, and erythrocyte and platelet membranes as indicators of long term adherence to fat modified diets.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 59: 364-370
- Fatty acid composition of erythrocyte, platelet, and serum lipids in strict vegans.Lipids. 1995; 30: 365-369
- Erythrocyte membrane fatty acid composition in hypercholesterolemia.Ann Clin Biochem. 1994; 31: 351-354
Accepted: July 17, 1998
Received: June 22, 1998
© 1998 Published by Elsevier Inc.