This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The aim of this study was to determine the effect of fatty acid intake and insulin dependent diabetes on the fatty acid composition of maternal erythrocytes, the placenta and cord. Fatty acid intake (from food frequency questionnaire) and the fatty acid composition of maternal erythrocytes, the placenta and cord from pregnant vegetarians (n = 4) and insulin dependent diabetics (n = 5) was compared with pregnant omnivores (n = 10).
There was a significantly lower intake of n-6 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (LCPUFA) (−75% P < 0.01) and n-3 LCPUFA (−92% P < 0.01) and increased ratio of LCPUFA in the vegetarians (103%; P < 0.001). The concentrations of 22:4 n-6 (+28%; P < 0.05) and 22:5 n-3 (+40%; P < 0.05) were higher in vegetarian erythrocytes. Placental 18:2 n-6 (+26.9%; P < 0.05) 18:3 n-3 (+139%; P < 0.05) and 22:5 n-3 (+24%; P < 0.05) were increased while 20:5 n-3 (−36%; P < 0.05), 22:6 n-3 (−16%; P = 0.059), and the ratios of and were reduced. 22:6 n-6 (−49%; P < 0.05) and total n-3 LCPUFA (−11%; P < 0.01) were reduced in vegetarian cord. For the diabetic mothers, all of the n-6 LCPUFA and n-3 LCPUFA were reduced in the maternal erythrocytes; 22:4 n-6 (−42%; P < 0.05), 22:5 n-6 (−46%; P < 0.05) and 22:6 n-3 (−41%; P < 0.05). For the diabetic placenta and cord the general pattern of n-3 LCPUFA was the same as that in the vegetarians.
In the vegetarian mothers, the PUFA profiles in the maternal erythrocytes, placenta and cord are consistent with an elevation in the rate of LCPUFA synthesis in order to make up the relative deficit in LCPUFA intake. However, it may be that the higher level of desaturase activity is not able to overcome the dietary deficit of 22-6 n-3 and 22:6 n-6. Despite the fact that the dietary LCPUFA intake in the pregnant diabetic was comparable with that in the pregnant ‘normal’ omnivore mothers, the pattern of PUFA in the tissues resembled that of the vegetarian mothers.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intrauterine fatty acid accretion rates in human brain: implications for fatty acid requirements.Early Human Development. 1980; 4: 121-129
- Fatty acid utilization in perinatal de novo synthesis of tissues.Early Human Development. 1981; 5: 355-366
- Visual acuity development in healthy preterm infants: effect of marine oil supplementation.Am J Clin Nutr. 1993; 58: 35-42
- Feeding formula without arachidonic acid and docosahexaenoic acid has no effect on preferential looking acuity or recognition memory in healthy full-term infants at 9 mo of age.Am J Clin Nutr. 1996; 64: 40-46
- Breast milk and subsequent intelligence quotient in children born preterm.Lancet. 1992; 339: 261-264
- Fatty acid composition of brain, retina and erythrocytes in breast and formula fed infants.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 60: 189-194
- Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom.in: Report on Health and Social Subjects no 41. HMSO, London1991
- A case of human linolenic acid deficiency involving neurological abnormalities.Am J Clin Nutr. 1982; 35: 617-623
- Nutritional Aspects of Fish.in: Briefing Paper 10. The British Nutrition Foundation, London1993
- Arachidonic and docosahexaenoic acids are biosynthesised from their 18-carbon precursors in human infants.in: Proc Nat Acad Sci USA. 93. 1996: 49-54
- Long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid transport across the perfused human term placenta.Placenta. 1997; 18: 635-642
- ω-3 Fatty acids: comparison of plant and seafood sources in human nutrition.J Am Diet Assoc. 1991; 91: 331-337
- Factors influencing fatty acid chain elongation and desaturation.in: The Role of Fats in Human Nutrition. Academic Press, London1989: 45-79
- The fatty acid elongation system of mammalian endoplasmic reticulum.Prog Lipid Res. 1992; 31: 1-51
- Development of a food frequency questionnaire.in: Proc Nutr Soc. 52. 1993: 330A
- Comparison of nutrient intake by food frequency questionnaire in a random sample of men and women.in: University of Aberdeen: M.Sc. Thesis. 1997
- Potential contribution of leisure activity to the energy expenditure patterns of sedentary populations.Brit J Nutr. 1991; 65: 145-155
- WHO Technical Report Series. WHO, Geneva1985 (No 724) Energy and Protein Requirements. Report of a Joint Expert Consultation.
- A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification.Can J Biochem Physiol. 1959; 37: 911-917
- HMSO, London1990 (Social Survey Division) The dietary and nutritional survey of British adults: a survey of the dietary behavior, nutritional status and blood pressure of adults aged 16 to 64 living in Great Britain, Office of Population Census and Surveys.
- The influence of maternal vegetarian diet on the essential fatty acid status of the newborn.Eur J Clin Nutr. 1994; 48: 358-368
- The influence of a vegetarian diet on the fatty acid composition of human milk and the essential fatty acid status of the infant.J Pediatr. 1992; 120: S71-S77
- A weighed dietary survey of men in Caerphily, South Wales.Hum Nut Appl Nutr. 1984; 38A: 270-276
- Dietary survey in 40 year old Edinburgh men.Hum Nut Appl Nutr. 1982; 36A: 272-280
- Assessment of Fatty Acid Intakes in Vegans and Omnivores.Hum Nut Appl Nutr. 1984; 38A: 345-354
- Reevaluation of the pathways for the biosynthesis of polyunsaturated fatty acids.J Lipid Res. 1995; 36: 2471-2477
- Fatty acid compositions of serum lipids, erythrocytes, and platelets in insulin-dependent diabetic women.J Clin Endocrin Metab. 1985; 61: 741-745
- Total lipid and fatty acid composition of milk from women with and without insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 60: 353-361
- Information Sheet: Statistics.1997 (World Wide Web)
Accepted: July 17, 1998
Received: June 22, 1998
© 1998 Published by Elsevier Inc.