This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Supplementation with essential fatty acids has been shown to prevent the experimentally induced ectopic calcification of the kidneys known as nephrocalcinosis. Male Sprague-Dawley rats were fed a semi-synthetic diet supplemented with different essential fatty acids while being injected for a period of 10 days with calcium glubionate. After 3 weeks their kidneys and aorta were removed and the respective calcium content measured compared to the control, saline injected animals. Lipoic acid-EPA, fish oil (EPA rich) as well as the EPA monoester reduced the calcium concentration of both the kidneys and the aorta towards control values. Lipoic-EPA was the best absorbed of the three compounds and its combination of anti-oxidant together with EPA lowered the calcium content of both the aortas and the kidneys.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The treatment of idiopathic recurrent urolithiasis with fish oil and evening primrose oil — a double-blind study.Urolithiasis. 1994; 2: 575-580
- Calcium metabolism, osteoporosis and essential fatty acids: a review.Prog Lipid Res. 1997; 36: 131-151
- Fatty acids: Biochemistry to clinical significance.Am J Clin Pathol. 1995; 104: 172-179
- Crystalline-lipoic acid: a catalytic agent associated with pyruvate dehydrogenase.Science. 1951; 114: 93-94
- Alpha-lipoic acid as a biological antioxidant (Review article).Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 1995; 19: 227-250
- Stimulation of glucose utilization by thioctic acid in rat diaphragm incubated in vitro.Biochim Biophys Acta. 1970; 222: 583-586
- Evaluation of four animal models of intrarenal calcium deposition and assessment of the influence of dietary supplementation with essential fatty acids on calcification.Urol Res. 1995; 23: 239-242
- Inhibition of experimental nephrocalcinosis with prostaglandin synthetase inhibitor.J Urol. 1991; 146: 188-194
- The influence of renal prostaglandins on glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and calcium excretion in urolithiasis.Br J Urol. 1981; 53: 485-491
- Evening primrose oil reduces urinary calcium excretion in both normal and hypercalciuric rats.Urol Res. 1994; 22: 227-230
- Improved method for the extraction of lipids from human erythrocytes.J Lipid Res. 1965; 6: 428-431
- Preparation of impermeable ghosts and inside-out vesicles from human erythrocyte membranes.Methods Enzymol. 1974; 31 (Part A): 172-180
- An improved procedure for the isolation of ghost membranes from human red blood cells [letter].Lipids. 1981; 16: 946
- A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues.J Biol Chem. 1957; 226: 497-509
- The influence of fish oil supplementation on plasma lipoproteins and arterial lipids in velvet monkeys with established atherosclerosis.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1992; 47: 129-138
Accepted: July 17, 1998
Received: May 16, 1998
© 1998 Published by Elsevier Inc.