This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Evidence from in vitro studies shows that increased intake of polyunsaturated fatty acids leads to increased oxidative stress, which may be associated with endothelial damage. We measured the urinary levels of 8-iso-PGF2α and nitric oxide metabolites as well as plasma slCAM-1 levels from healthy subjects after strictly controlled diets rich in either linoleic acid (LA, C18:2 n-6) or oleic acid (OA, C18:1 n-9).
Thirty-eight volunteers (20 women and 18 men, mean age 27 years) consumed a baseline diet rich in saturated fatty acids (SFA) for 4 weeks and were then switched to either a high LA diet (11.5 en%) or a high OA diet (18.0 en%) also for 4 weeks. During the LA and OA diets, nearly all food was provided for the whole day. A control group of 13 subjects consumed their habitual diet throughout the study.
Urinary excretion of 8-iso-PGF2α was significantly increased after the LA diet (170 vs 241 ng/mmol creatinine, P=0.04), whereas the urinary concentration of nitric oxide metabolites decreased (4.2 vs 2.6 mg/mmol creatinine, P=0.03). No significant changes were seen in the OA group. Significant differences between the LA and control group were found for both 8-oxo-PGF2α (P=0.03) and NO (P=0.02), whereas the OA and LA groups did not differ with respect to any parameter. Also plasma slCAM-1 remained unchanged in both groups throughout the study. In conclusion, the high-LA diet increased oxidative stress and affected endothelial function in a way which may in the long-term predispose to endothelial dysfunction.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Oxidation of low density lipoproteins: intraindividual variability and the effect of dietary linoleate supplementation.Am J Clin Nutr. 1993; 57: 391-398
- Effects of oleate-rich and linoleate-rich diets on the susceptibility of low density lipoprotein to oxidative modification in hypercholesterolemic subjects.J Clin Invest. 1993; 91: 668-676
- High dietary ω-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids drastically increase the formation of etheno-DNA base adducts in white blood cells of female subjects.Cancer Epidem Biomarkers Prev. 1997; 6: 597-601
- Inhibition of low-density lipoprotein oxidation by nitric oxide.FEBS Lett. 1993; 334: 170-174
- Inhibition of Gi proteins by low density lipoprotein attenuates bradykinin-stimulated release of endothelial-derived nitric oxide.J Biol Chem. 1994; 269: 12987-12992
- Diet-induced atherosclerosis increases the release of nitrogen oxides from rabbit aorta.J Clin Invest. 1990; 86: 2109-2116
- Inactivation of endothelial derived relaxing factor by oxidized lipoproteins.J Clin Invest. 1992; 89: 10-18
- N-3 fatty acids and urinary excretion of nitric oxide metabolites in humans.Am J Clin Nutr. 1997; 65: 459-464
- Dietary fish oil augments nitric oxide production or release in patients with type-2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus.Diabetologia. 1993; 36: 33-38
- Eicosapentaenoic acid potentiates the production of nitric oxide evoked by interleukin-1β in cultured vascular smooth muscle cells.J Vasc Res. 1993; 30: 209-217
- Cell adhesion molecules in coronary artery disease.JACC. 1994; 24: 1591-1601
- Circulating adhesion molecules in disease.Immunol Today. 1993; 14: 506-512
- Linoleic acid activates nuclear transcription factor-κB (NF-κB-dependent transcription in cultured endothelial cells.Am J Clin Nutr. 1996; 63: 322-328
- Rapeseed oil and sunflower oil diets enhance platelet in vitro aggregation and thromboxane production in healthy men when compared with milk fat or habitual diets.Thromb Haemost. 1992; 67: 352-356
- Similar effects of diets rich in stearic acid or monounsaturated trans fatty acids on platelet function and endothelial prostacyclin production.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1998; 18: 316-322
- High performance liquid chromatographic determination of tocopherols and tocotrienols and its application to diets and plasma of Finnish men.Int J Vit Nutr Res. 1984; 53: 35-40
- Radioimmunoassay of 8-iso-prostaglandin F2α: An index for oxidative injury via free radical catalysed lipid peroxidation.Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1998; 58: 319-325
- Analysis of nitrate, nitrite, and [15N]nitrate in biological fluids.Anal Biochem. 1982; 126: 131-138
- SYSTAT: The System for statistics.SYSTAT Inc, Evanston1989
- Recommended Dietary Allowances.10th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington D.C1989
- A series of prostaglanin F2-like compounds are produced in vivo in humans by a non-cyclo-oxygenase, free radical catalyzed mechanism.in: Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 87. 1990: 9383-9387
- Mass spectrometry of prostanoids: F2-isoprostanes produced by non-cyclo-oxygenase free radical-catalyzed mechanism.Methods Enzymol. 1994; 233: 163-174
- Formation of novel non-cyclo-oxygenase derived prostanoids (F2-isoprostanes) in carbon tetrachloride hepatoxicity.J Clin Invest. 1992; 90: 2502-2507
- Increase in circulating products of lipid peroxidation (F2-isoprostanes) in smokers — Smoking as a cause of oxidative damage.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 1198-1203
- 8-epi prostaglandin F2α, an index of oxidant stress, is increased during acute coronary angioplasty.Circulation. 1996; 94: 3725
- Elevated levels of 8-epi prostaglandin F2α in familial hypercholesterolemia: Evidence of oxidative stress in vivo.Circulation. 1996; 94: 3727
- Monocytes in human atherosclerotic plaque contain high levels of 8-epi-PGF2α in indices of oxidative stress in vivo.Circulation. 1996; 94: 277
- Formation of F2-isoprostanes during aortic endothelial cell-mediated oxidation of low density lipoprotein.FEBS Lett. 1994; 348: 297-300
- Formation of non-cyclooxygenase-derived prostanoids (F2 isoprostanes) in plasma and low density lipoprotein exposed to oxidative stress in vitro.J Clin Invest. 1994; 93: 998-1004
- Hypercholesterolemia and endothelial dysfunction.Curr Opinion Lipidol. 1995; 6: 190-195
- Oxidized lipoproteins and nitric oxide.Curr Opin Lipidol. 1996; 7: 274-280
- Inhibitory effect of fish oil n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on the expression of endothelial cell adhesion molecules.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1996; 220: 969-974
- Docosahexaenoic acid selectively attenuates induction of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 and subsequent monocytic cell adhesion to human endothelial cells stimulated by tumor necrosis factor-α.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1995; 15: 622-628
- The direct effect of injectable cyclosporine and its vehicle, cremophor, on endothelial vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 expression.Transplantation. 1995; 60: 270-275
- Suppression of nitric oxide production in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophage cells by ω3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.Jpn J Cancer Res. 1997; 88: 234-237
Accepted: July 20, 1998
Received: May 21, 1998
© 1998 Published by Elsevier Inc.